Leads to A
Health and Wellness Resources
In and Near La Grange IL
HEALTHIEST REGION IN THE COUNTRY
Visit our website for access to community health resources,
including our behavioral health resource guide, suicide prevention
PSA, and Regional Health and Human Services Agenda for the
COMMUNITY GRANTMAKING | REGIONAL CHANGEMAKING
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Wellness Spectrum & Tips for Improving your
Local Health and Wellness Resources
Signature LGBA Events and Community
4 - 9
10 - 14
MENTAL: Your Mental Health and Wellness
Sponsored by: Pillars
Mental illness is a condition that affects a person’s thinking, feel-
ing, or mood. Like a physical condition, its causes can be rooted in
biology and genetics or may be impacted by your environment or
Today 1 in 4 American adults is living with a diagnosable mental
The Mental Health Spectrum is much like the Physical Health
causing a serious
Mental illness is treatable.
If your symptoms are impacting your lifestyle (excessive worry,
prolonged sadness, suicidal thoughts, substance abuse, etc.), reach out
for help. Pillars is available 24 hours a day at 708.745.5277.
VOCATIONAL: 5 Ways to Improve Staff Engagement and Morale
Sponsored by: BrightStar Care® of Chicago and La Grange
1. Recognize employees’ birthdays- we all like to be remembered.
2. Create organizational core values that reflect the long-term
goals of the organization, yet are easy to understand/embrace.
3. Live your core values everywhere, so everyone believes it’s
4. Work with your team to establish fun, safe and immediate goals
that result in a celebration.
5. Schedule team activities to re-energize employees. These
should include both professional and volunteer projects.
EDUCATIONAL: 5 Ways to Enhance your Educational /
Sponsored by: Plymouth Place
1. Learn a new language
(take classes or rent a DVD from the library).
2. Attend a lecture on an interesting topic
(often free at local college,
library, even Plymouth Place!)
3. Exercise! Try counting rotations backwards by certain
denominations: Ex: 96, 89, 82,75, etc.
4. Do research on a trip you’d love to take.
5. Take classes on something you’ve always wished to learn more
(music, birds, art, finances, etc.)
ENVIRONMENTAL: 5 Steps to Make Your Home or Office More
Sponsored by: (r)evolution architecture
1. Easy wins: use LED light bulbs; engage in yearlong recycling
programs; and purchase products made from recycled
2. Optimize daylighting and advanced indoor lighting design to
minimize energy use and improve mood and productivity.
3. Consider adding solar panels and green roofs to reduce air
conditioning and heating costs, expand your roof life, manage
stormwater, beautify blank space into garden space, reduce
carbon monoxide, and remove nitrogen pollution from rain.
4. Explore the feasibility of using rain gardens and bioswales to
improve stormwater management, as well as the use of
permeable pavement to allow water to flow through and into
the ground below.
5. Consider using recycled materials in the interior and exterior
renovation / addition or new construction of your home or
PHYSICAL: Top 5 Reasons Why Women Need to Strength Train
Sponsored by: Get in Shape for Women
1. Regular physical activity can improve your mood and the way
you feel about yourself.
2. Regular weight-bearing exercise promotes bone formation
and may prevent many forms of bone loss associated with
3. Physical activity helps to reduce body fat by building or
preserving muscle mass and improving the body’s ability to
use calories. When physical activity is combined with proper
nutrition, it can help control weight and prevent obesity, a
major risk factor for many diseases.
4. By reducing body fat, physical activity can help to prevent and
control type 2 diabetes.
5. Daily physical activity can help prevent heart disease and
stroke by strengthening your heart muscle and capacity,
lowering your blood pressure, raising your HDL levels
(good cholesterol), lowering LDL levels (bad cholesterol), and
improving blood flow.
SPIRITUAL: How to Incorporate Spirituality into Your Daily Life
Sponsored by: Active Souls
• Stay Positive and Laugh Often – When you laugh you secrete
a chemical that automatically boosts your mood and improves
your physical health. And laughter is contagious. When you
laugh, people around you will generally feel better and soon
everyone will be happier and more spiritually connected.
• Keep a Gratitude Journal – studies have found that keeping
a daily gratitude journal leads to an increased sense of well-
being, better sleep, willingness to accept change, and helps
lower symptoms of physical pain. Everyday when you wake
up, write down 3 things for which you are grateful.
• Unplug and slow down – Life gets hectic. Take some time each
day to slow down, enjoy a sunrise or sunset, and listen to your
breath. Plan daily breaks and schedule longer vacations to
• Spend time with Nature – The secrets of Life are embedded
in nature and if you want to increase your spiritual awareness,
study nature and learn how to live in harmony with it. As your
connection to nature strengthens, your spiritual awareness will
SOCIAL / EMOTIONAL: 5 Ways to Improve your Social and
Sponsored by: La Grange Public Library
1. Attend a library program and connect with others as well as
learn about the community.
2. Educate yourself about your health through print and digital
resources at the library to develop a healthy lifestyle and
improve your social/emotional intelligence.
3. Cultivate self-awareness, inform yourself about your emotions,
and overcome obstacles in life by using library resources.
4. Understand more about different places and cultures to
become a global citizen and get involved in the community.
5. Receive hands-on learning on crafting, computer software, and
electronic books. Get practical information to improve the
quality of your life including: health, business, child care, job
· children are in school more days and are better able to learn.
Regular physical activity supports better learning. Student
fitness levels have been correlated with academic achievement,
including improved math, reading and writing scores.
· adults are more productive and at work more days. Preventing
disease increases productivity and minimizes negative impacts of
asthma, high blood pressure, smoking and obesity.
· seniors keep their independence. Support for older adults
who choose to remain in their homes and communities and retain
their independence (“aging in place”) helps promote and
maintain positive mental and emotional health.
FINANCIAL: 5 Tips on How to Prepare for College / Retirement
Sponsored by: Horizon Wealth Management
1. Pay Yourself First (general rule is to save at LEAST 10% of
your monthly income).
2. Create and monitor a sound, personalized roadmap roadmap
(without a detailed plan, the crossroads of College and
Retirement savings could be a scary one).
3. Understand the financial aid process and how to qualify for
more (what mistakes to avoid and how to calculate your EFC).
4. Save for the future while paying close attention to taxes and
expenses (these are the two biggest headwinds your savings
plan will face).
5. Work with a professional (In this day and age with all of the
noise surrounding wealth management, let an experienced
advisor guide you).
Health and Wellness Benefits...
82 S. La Grange Road
La Grange, IL 60525
Our full service architectural and interior
design practice looks forward to working
with you. We aspire to provoke thought,
emotion, excitement or introspection through
our work which spans 20+ years of additions,
renovations, and new construction across
commercial; residential; institutional (civic/
municipal; healthcare; wellness; fitness;
cultural) and higher education.
355 N. La Grange Road
La Grange Park, IL 60526
We will guide you to the best fitness results
you’ve ever had. Whether you’re an absolute
beginner or an athlete, we can help you
transform your body and mind in a fun,
challenging and supportive environment.
Adventist Medical Center
5101 S Willow Springs Road
La Grange, IL 60525
Since its opening in 1955, AMITA Health
Adventist Medical Center La Grange has
maintained a high level of medical excellence
in the community. The 205-bed facility
provides outpatient and inpatient primary
care, trauma care and wellness services to
residents of Chicago’s western suburbs.
26 S. La Grange Road
La Grange, IL
An independent, locally owned bookstore
within the Chicago Suburbs for over 50
years. Reading is such an integral part
of growing as a child and an adult and
Anderson’s takes great pride in being able to
provide that for our communities. We also
take satisfaction in cultivating readers as it
is a known source to benefit the health and
wellness of people.
Aneta Trusner, Certified
Empowers, educates and provides
accountability to individuals who are ready to
take care of their own health by incorporating
a healthy lifestyle, listening to their own body
and taking necessary actions. Gut - Brain -
Mood connections. Food as medicine.
Local Health and Wellness Resources: